Competitive salary plus benefits
Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, England
Permanent | Full Time
My clients in Cambridgeshire are looking for a Patent Analyst - Chemistry / Biochemistry.
This role is commutable from Cambridge, Bedford, St. Neots, Huntingdon, Sandy, Yaxley.
My client's R&D centre is currently working on a wide range of exciting research topics including: FlexOLED, Organic Photodiodes for x-ray and sensors, Organic Electronics, Bio-Sensors, Energy Harvesting and Storage, as well as OLED Lighting, at levels ranging from fundamental understanding to optimising materials and devices for market applications.
Their IP team provides world-class solutions to support the growth, competitiveness and profitability of their businesses. For this purpose, the IP team aims to create and maintain a strong IP portfolio and consequently to generate maximum value from it for the business.
The Patent Analyst would contribute to these goals by providing the analysis of both company owned patents and patents owned by third parties. This will include analysing IP searches, landscapes and various other IP related projects.
- Develop, conduct and analyse comprehensive search strategies/results for a variety of landscapes, clearance, patentability, and validity searches for business management, IP colleagues, and technology scouting purposes.
- Develop and collaborate with third party search companies to perform landscapes, whitespace analyses, and various other IP searches.
- Communicate search results, and provide deliverables, in the form of landscapes, patent maps, and charts from items 1 and 2 above, formally, and informally, to management, IP and technology scouting colleagues, in a timely manner.
- Maintain proficiency with commercial patent searching databases and other proprietary databases of technical publications.
- Arrange IP alerts, and analyse competitor IP developments, and communicate findings with internal stakeholders.
- Support Patent Engineers in the creation and execution of IP strategies.
- Provide technical guidance/support to the Patent Engineers, as required, regarding patent prosecution, IP search results and analysing prior art documents.
- Provide process improvements where applicable, for example, find alternative cloud-based searching platforms to meet evolving IT requirements, by providing a migration plan, implementation costs and annual costs of the searching platform.
- Maintain IP department software licenses and updates and serve as the primary liaison between the IP team and external providers of search tools and databases and organise training for the IP team.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Educated to degree level in Chemistry or Biochemistry with an MSc in Intellectual Property or alternatively an MSc or PhD in Chemistry or Biochemistry together with a strong technical background, involving some awareness of patents.
- Experience in patent landscaping is essential, and ability to synthesise IP information with market knowledge to provide sound recommendations to management and business colleagues.
- An understanding of the difference between freedom-to-operate, patentability and invalidity searches, how are they different, under what circumstances each is performed, and, how to tailor the search appropriately.
- Experience with major patent related databases and performing patent searches, for example, Derwent Innovation, PatentSight, STN, Orbit or a similar system.
- Fluency in English is essential (written and verbal) with strong abilities related to proofreading work products.
- Good knowledge of standard computer programs (for example, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Salary circa £35-40k per annum but flexible for the right candidate.
To apply for this Patent Analyst - Chemistry / Biochemistry role in Cambridgeshire please contact us ASAP!