Competitive salary plus benefits
Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, England
Permanent | Full Time
My clients in Cambridgeshire are looking for s Scientist, Chemistry - Advanced Materials.
This role is commutable from Saffron Walden, Royston, Cambridge, Bedford, St. Neots, Huntingdon.
The successful candidate will identify, define and evaluate new research themes and projects as part of an interdisciplinary team that includes biochemists, chemists, physicists and engineers.
An important part of the role is to plan and conduct feasibility projects, designed to validate the initial hypothesis and to generate fundamental IP that will underpin development of broad platform technologies within the company. These will include in-house research and, where appropriate, collaborative projects with industrial and academic partners.
KEY RESULT AREAS:
- Successful delivery of technical feasibility projects and technologies through in-house laboratory research and collaboration with external partners.
- Successful identification, design, synthesis, purification and development of advanced materials for a variety of feasibility projects.
- Accurate recording of all practical work to ensure that new Intellectual Property is appropriately documented.
- Effective communication with all team members and the wider organisation to distribute results, discuss problems, and provide next-step recommendations to progress the project.
- Contribute to widening the company Intellectual Property (IP) portfolio by inventing novel concepts and technical solutions.
- With support from the market analysis team, develop understanding of market needs and competition for target applications.
- Contribute to idea generation towards novel projects within the company.
- Continual review of new trends and emerging technologies, regularly communicating potential opportunities within the company.
- Proposal of novel advanced materials and provision of recommendations to solve chemical synthetic issues.
- Execution of synthetic chemistry transformations on small to large scales, to a high standard of purity, complemented by high-quality documentation.
- Full characterization of all materials prepared, and highlighting of anomalies in the results.
- Planning short-loop projects to demonstrate the technical feasibility and scope for further development of technology areas.
- By working individually and with the Platform Innovation Team, identify and develop new research themes. Conduct trend analysis and technology mapping to identify unmet needs to support this objective.
- Support the analysis of the related market and development of a proposed business hypothesis.
- Participate in idea generation events.
- Effective communication with synthetic chemists, analysts, device physicists, and project leaders.
- Chemistry PhD (or equivalent experience) with experience in the design & synthesis of advanced materials is essential.
- It is essential that you have experience of the identification, design and synthesis of more than one type of novel advanced materials.
- Clear and confident communication both when discussing complex technical concepts with fellow scientists and when providing project updates to senior management is essential.
- It is essential that you have an ability to effectively communicate results, the risks and challenges of synthetic chemistry and the requirements necessary for success.
- It is essential that you can demonstrate an aptitude for creative thinking and delivering novel solutions for unmet needs.
- Proactivity and excellent self-motivation with an ability to acquire new skills and areas of expertise are essential.
- Strong team-playing skills and the ability to operate in multi-disciplinary / cross-functional teams is essential.
- A calm and methodical approach to work during busy periods, and the ability to work on more than one target simultaneously without loss of efficiency or productivity is essential.
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities, in combination with a willingness to seek expert assistance and peer advice when required are essential.
- Post-doctoral research experience is highly desirable.
- A keen awareness of recent trends and cutting edge materials technologies would be highly desirable.
Salary c£33-36k per annum, flexible for the right candidate.
To apply for this Scientist, Chemistry - Advanced Materials role in Cambridgeshire please contact us ASAP!